We've had a busy week around here, as my maternity leave winds down (I go back to work on January 4th), and all the normal hustle and bustle that goes with the holiday season. As you can see in the one photo above, we tried some rice cereal with Tommy last Monday - just a few spoonfuls, and we were impressed that he knew how to take the spoon in his mouth. Of course, some of the cereal ended up back out of his mouth, but he did swallow some of it! Right now we are just giving him a very little bit in the morning after his first bottle of the day.
We also had a HUGE snowstorm this weekend in New Jersey. Usually north Jersey gets most of the snow, but this time, the southern and central part of the state, including the shore, where we live, really got the major part of the dumping, between 18-24 inches! Kind of hard to measure as the wind was really intense and there are a lot of drifts. Our side of the street has more snow than across the street John said. Our street was plowed one time last night but not at all today. And we are lucky that John and one of our neighbors was able to get the snowblower started - John worked on it for almost an hour before venturing down the street and bringing back a neighbor to take a look at it with him, with the promise of blowing the snow out of his driveway if they could get it to work. Thankfully, they did - now we know to make sure to winterize the thing at the end of each season, which includes emptying out any remaining gas! As you can see in the other 2 photos, we brought TJ outside for his first BIG snow (we did have a light dusting a few weeks ago, but not even enough to bring out a broom, never mind a shovel!)! We bundled him up in the L.L. Bean snowsuit that we received from Grandma Jacki - that would be my niece Lexi's other grandmom who lives in the Poconos. It's size 3-6 months, so while a little big for him right now, if we get any more storms this winter we'll definitely get some use out of it!
Tommy seems to be drooling a lot more than he had been, and while I can't feel anything, I thought I was seeing something on his lower gum that might be a tooth. Today he let out a huge, drawn out yawn while I was sitting with him after his first bottle of the day, and I got to see that there is definitely what looks like a little white dot where the left middle front tooth will eventually be. Of course, this means nothing, as it may still be several more months for the tooth to come through.
I've also included a video that will hopefully work (unlike the Tuxedo and the bibs video that did not work the first time I posted that!). It features Tommy during tummy time on his boppy from the middle of last week sometime. He was in a really happy mood and had been doing some talking and smiling BEFORE I got the camera out, but as usual, that stuff doesn't come out when I've got the camera on him!! I have to get some new video of him though because the past 3 days we did not use the boppy and I was so impressed with how well he did on tummy time and for much longer periods of time. He really held his head up high and was smiling, cooing, and laughing and responding to me when I encouraged him. He is most definitely on the verge of rolling over. I know he did the one 2 weeks ago, but nothing since, but it is amazing how much stronger he has gotten over the past few weeks!
I also dug out the size 3-6 month clothes this weekend to wash them and see what I had so I can make a list of what things I need to pick up for him, since he'll be moving up to that size very soon. It's funny how some clothes are 0-9 months or 3-9 months...and then depending on the brand, some run bigger than others. Even with the diapers I'm finding that out - we have been using the size 1-2 Kirkland diapers from Costco, which are up to 15 lbs. The Pampers size 2's are for 12-18 lbs.
Our visit to the daycare last Monday went very well. Funny story - we drove all the way there, and realized we forgot the folder with all the paperwork we were supposed to be dropping off, so we had to drive all the way home. Duh! I don't remember any of the teachers' names but they were all very nice and welcoming. It was nice to see how HAPPY all of the babies in the room were, so some of the anxiety and guilt I was feeling was lessened a little bit. Tommy will probably be one of the youngest, if not the youngest, when he starts in January. We also found out one of the owners has her daughter in this group too, so we know that they all must be well cared for! I now have the task of having to start labeling all of Tommy's clothes with his name so we don't lose anything at daycare (same thing with bottles and food containers eventually too). The daycare requires this. I have these iron-on tags that I bought, but then found a website called labeldaddy.com that makes stickers that can survive the washer and dryer so I of course splurged and bought those too. I hate ironing, though I know it could be worse and I could have to SEW labels in. I can barely sew a button on - I usually ask John to do that for me!!!
This being Christmas week, we are so excited for Tommy's first Christmas, even though he won't necessarily remember it or be opening presents by himself. Santa is bringing him a few things, but we told him this would probably be a good year to make a deposit into TJ's college fund. He loves to look at the Christmas tree and I've seen him eyeing it in such a way as though he is scheming for next year as to what he's going to be doing. This is the first year that we don't think Tux or Tails have been in the tree at all - though John still ties the tree to the wall - we aren't taking any chances! I'm already wondering what we'll have to child proof when it comes to the holiday stuff, never mind just child proofing in general around the house!!!
Almost forgot one other big FIRST - Tommy's picture was in the paper yesterday! I was a dork and bought an ad in the Baby's First Holiday section, which is proudly posted on our fridge. Thank goodness it was NOT today's paper, since our delivery guy did not get today's paper to us with the snow!
Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment