Sunday, December 6, 2009

Tis' the Season!







Happy Holidays! Tommy was 12 weeks old this past Thursday, and will officially be 3 months old on Thursday, December 10th. We have his next check up that day, so we'll know officially how much he weighs, but based on our guesstimates on various scales while holding him , plus how certain clothes are fitting (or almost not fitting!), we are pretty sure he is between 11 and 12 pounds.






We had a few big things happen this past week. Last Monday, we gave Tommy his first bottle of formula. I made John make the bottle as well as give TJ that first bottle of formula - my mom asked me what the rest of you are probably thinking, "Did you think he was going to explode if you gave it to him?" I don't know what I thought - I was just scared! But nothing happened, and of course then I realize nothing would probably happen for a few days anyway if it were. So, since then, he has had one bottle of formula a day (6 oz.), though occasionally he has had a second smaller bottle depending on how much I had pumped for that day's supply. So far so good, though he is a little more gassy than before he was taking the formula. However, babies are gassy, and I'm told that you need to give the formula a few weeks to see if it's working or NOT - sometimes people switch too quickly to another brand or type of formula apparently. We went through the sample of Similac Advance Early Shield that we got from the hospital, so we picked up another small can today. I actually had gotten a sample of the ready to feed stuff from someone I know through Rutgers before I went on maternity leave, but it expired in October, so we could not use it. But, I can and will get more, so I'm hoping the Similac works out for Tommy because I know formula is not cheap, so whatever freebies we can get, we'll take! We have noticed a few changes with his BMs - mainly he won't have one for an entire day, and then he'll have 4 the next day. I am sure you all wanted to know that, and Tommy will be thrilled i shared that when he is old enough to read all this stuff!






The other big news is that Tommy has moved from the bassinet into his crib! The first night was Thursday when he officially was 12 weeks old. It was not planned, which is probably a good thing because I would have been stressing about it and thinking too much about it. I had 2 days in a row of getting him to take at least one nap in the crib, and noticed how much he moved around. John and I had both noticed how he was always at the top of the bassinet in the morning, even after we'd put him with his feet all the way at the bottom the night before. So I mentioned to John on Thursday after his last bottle that we might want to try him in the crib that night, and if it didn't work out, we just put him in the bassinet again. The little guy slept through the night for us in his crib! I did not wake up a million times like I thought I might; he started fussing around 5:30 or so but we did not get up until around 6:30 or so. Saturday morning he was up and raring to go before 6 though, and today he started fussing around 6:15; I went in to give him his binky 3x and then just brought him into our bed for an hour. He fell back asleep until around 7:40, which is LATE for him. His first feeding is usually around 7/7:15. We both know the dangers of having the baby in bed with us, so we were very careful and both of us were nearly hanging off the bed anyway to make sure we were not smothering him! The bassinet is still in our room for now, since we want to make sure this is a permanent thing in the crib. The funniest thing of all - every morning so far he has been completely turned in a different direction of the way we put him in the night before!






On Friday we were in Bayonne so that we could have some portraits taken of Tommy. A photographer who does a lot of the Rutgers games and events offered to do a sitting for me and go figure she lives in Bayonne (always a connection - drives John nuts!). We did some shots in his christening gown, some Christmas shots, naked baby poses and then in a regular outfit. We even did a few of Tommy and I together. I have not seen the pictures yet, but will definitely share them once we have them. It was a lot of fun, and Tommy was very cooperative, though serious!






Today we took Tommy to see Santa Claus at Eagle Oaks, where John works, They had their "Brunch with Santa" event and had a nice set up to get photos with Santa. I was a little leery about going to the mall for photos with the flu situation, so this was perfect. As the middle photo above shows, he slept on Santa's lap, though woke up immediately after our turn was over! I've also been trying to get a good photo for our Christmas card but not sure that happened. I took about 80 pictures of him yesterday in front of the tree - poor kid! I even tried to get the cats in the picture with him by putting a bag of catnip on Tommy's lap - the top picture is what we got from that attempt - the cats would not go any closer to him!





Tommy loves the lights on the tree, and has been cooperative about doing tummy time in front of it the past week. He is about to roll over from back to front any day now - he is just about on his side now. Tummy to back probably a few weeks yet, but he is really strong with holding himself up for a little bit when he is on his tummy! Daddy is just over a cold and now Mommy has one - trying to not pass it on to TJ. Both John and I have gotten the flu shots thankfully, and we also did get the nasal mist vaccine for the swine flu, so hopefully we all stay healthy after this. And I am still drinking that Mother's Milk Tea I bought. I don't know that I'm noticing any real difference in my supply, but I'm continuing to drink it, as it is also recommended for fighting a cold when you are nursing. if nothing else, the tea is at least maintaining my supply right now so that we only need to supplement one 6 oz. formula bottle most days so far. Another thing to worry about, some cold medicines can diminish your supply, so I'm not taking anything for the cold, just using a nasal saline spray.
I hope you can see in the last picture above how big Tommy is getting! We are more in love with him every day and are so excited to be celebrating his first Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment