Tuesday, December 14, 2010

15 Months Facts

So I guess it's official that Tommy is no longer a baby, but a toddler, at least in the world's definition...he walks, he toddles, he got his first haircut, and he was 15 months old on Friday, 12/10...but let's get this straight folks - he's always going to be my BABY!


His 15 month check up was on Monday night. Tommy actually stood on the scale for the nurse to check his weight, which was 24 pounds, 8 ounces. He also cooperated and stood against the wall for her to get his height, which was an even 30". His growth is starting to slow down...or maybe because he's so active he's just not gaining as much, but he gained less than 2 pounds in 3 months, and only grew a half an inch. He is still in the 50-75th percentile for his weight, but he actually dropped from the 50th to 25th percentile in his height. Remember, his momma is short...hopefully he does not inherit that from me! Dr. Nito said he was doing great, and although he has a bit of congestion/runny nose and a cough in the mornings, no ear infections! He did have to pull a nice sized wad of wax out of his right ear though! We addressed his bow legs again, and he said for us to continue to keep a watch on it and that if it does not start to correct itself over the next few months, we can take him to a pediatric orthopedist to address it. He did tell us that he noticed what is called an "innocent heart murmur." This is common in many babies and is caused by the sound of blood moving through the heart. He told us it's nothing to worry about, so we aren't. My sister had a heart murmur, and I found out when I was in my early 30s that I had a murmur as well. My doctor made me go to a cardiologist, who was shocked that my doctor had even picked up on it as it was so slight. Otherwise, everything checked out, and Tommy got two immunizations last night, including the MMR. He did well with the first shot, as he was watching and listening to Daddy's phone make noise, but the second one he went nuts after and it took us forever to calm him down. We gave him some (generic) Tylenol and the kid slept through the night and later than usual in the morning!

Some other fun facts for the 15 month milestone to note:



1. Tommy is saying more words. His latest: "boog" for booger. Miss Stacey informed me today of that new one, and that its how she gets him to let her wipe his nose. So I tried it tonight, and it worked. He likes to look at what's in the tissue when we're "all done!" He also says up, down, upstairs, and carries on what he thinks is a conversation with you with some funky sounds.

2. Our big boy is doing great with self-feeding. He likes to take the spoon from you and do it himself, and he also likes to use a fork to eat his french toast. He even tries to put the food on the fork himself, though we still have to help him as he'll never eat anything some days if we just let him do it. But he's trying!

3. As for food variety, the boy likes what he likes. Fruit is his favorite, especially strawberries, so much so that we have resorted to S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G the word because of how he reacts when we say it. Also loves his banans and pears, and has tentatively agreed to try some cantaloupe and pineapple which did not go over that well a few months ago. Also likes turkey melts, chicken nuggets, and pasta, if in the mood. Breakfast is french toast and waffles. He is definitely a better breakfast/lunch eater than dinner. Favorite snack - the Gerber cheese doodles. LOVES them!

4. We are officially DONE with bottles! Tommy uses several different sippy cups, and we eliminated the night bottle about 2 weeks ago for a sippy cup and the morning bottle was the last to go, last weekend. We have also been able to stop him from using the sippy cup before bed the last 3 nights. Tonight was a little rough; I think he cried for 40 minutes before finally giving up and falling asleep in my arms.

5. Tommy can be rough like you'd expect a boy to be - he went through his hitting phase, but is much better nowadays, but he is also very loving and gentle. He greets his classmates at school with hugs, and likes to do the same with Tux and Tails, both of whom are very patient with him. If he sees a friend at school crying, he'll walk over to them and look at them with concern, and sometimes lean in to hug him/her.

6. His favorite toys to play with are balls...small, big, football, soccerball, in the tub, etc. He throws with both hands, but he also will kick the ball if we tell him to...as (former) soccer players ourselves, John and I would love to see him pick that as his sport! He also loves his Little People toys, stacking boxes, and Handy Manny sit-on toy with tools.

7. We've gotten Tommy in the habit of brushing his teeth. He even likes to do it himself. I know he's not necessarily doing the job, but honestly, even when I do it, WHEN HE LETS ME, I'm not doing much more. He likes to suck on the brush and sooth his gums. He still has only 6 teeth. The teething varies night to night now, but his back teeth are definitely bugging him some days more than others. I find that if he sees me brushing my teeth, he will want to "help" so I let him, and then also give him his tooth brush so he can brush and then we can take turns brushing each other's teeth.

8. Tommy is a great helper when it's time to clean up. Miss Stacey at school actually called him a little "OCD" when it comes to that. He wants to please you with his efforts and loves the praise he gets when he finishes. Definitely gets that from his mommy...I love that he's a good picker-upper, but I don't want him to always be a people pleaser - which is a trait that I know from personal experience can cause anxiety and stress. But he is such a sweet little boy!

And now for the really cute stuff:


Just because I got a haircut, does not mean I don't get HAT HEAD!



Side view of hat head


Tommy cooperates when Mommy undresses him, but getting dressed...that's another story!



Look Ma, I am brushing my teeth!




No comments:

Post a Comment