We have had the worst weather here in NJ the past few weeks it seems! It even sounds like a N'oreaster is on it's way to hit us this coming week! And of course, this weekend when we will have my niece Alexis staying with us for 4 days (Thursday-Sunday), the weather is not looking too promising. Poor Lexi - we have the worst luck weatherwise whenever she stays over and we want to hit the beach or a friend's pool! However, I think we can get our nails done, maybe hit the Popcorn Park Zoo, maybe even the boardwalk for some games and rides. Or we'll play her fave board game, Catopoly (or "Catonopoly" as she calls it!).
John FINALLY got to feel the baby kick this past weekend! Any time previously he would wait to feel it, of course the little guy stopped and refused to perform. Kind of like when Tux and Tails know the camera is on them...they stop what they are doing. But on Saturday night while I was laying on the couch, he was finally rewarded with some pretty major kicks! And then again the other morning - I even saw his hand get kicked up a little! His reaction that first night was "Whoa!" and he almost took a step back he was so surprised! Since John and I were both soccer players all of our lives, he is convinced the little guy will be a soccer player too - it's ingrained in him. I hope he is, since it's at least something I have a little knowledge about...I mean, if he decides on baseball, he'll find out why one of his mom's nicknames when she tried to play was "Ragarm." My other nickname, however, was Sparky, because the coach said I was fast and I could outrun throws and said I was like a sparkplug. And of course, a little golfer would be fun...he and I could take lessons together since I have been a beginner for the past 10 years anyway!
As for other fun stuff, I am really becoming quite the klutz. Yes, I did read that this is common with pregnancy, but figured that I'm pretty coordinated, so I should be fine. Ha! It supposedly has something to do with when your joints start to swell...and I suppose there are some early signs of that. Certain rings do not fit me the same way...one ring that was big on me now fits my ring finger perfectly on my right hand...I used to wear it on my middle finger, but even though i got it over my knuckle, realized it was a bit snug and I didn't want it to get stuck. Of course, it took me a few moments to get it off! The other day I managed to somehow miss the toothbrush entirely when putting toothpaste on...didn't even notice til I start brushing and I can't taste the Crest mint flavor, and there it was, all over the counter and in the sink. Looked like i used half the tube as well, but it was at the end of the tube so no idea how or what i did. My balance sometimes feels a little off at times as well - nothing serious, I mean, I'm still wearing my sandals with heels for now - they are maybe 2 inches, and most are thick, and actually they are better than flats for my back - that I did read about. Well, i do have one pair or cute green sandals that might be 2.5" (or more) that aren't as thick, but I also bring flip flops with me a lot of the time in case it's too much. But sometimes I just feel like there is a force inside me that just causes me to sway a little bit, whether I'm standing still or walking down the hallway at work.
Tonight John and I went for a walk around the neighborhood for my daily exercise. John started working out in earnest back in January, right around the time we found out I was pregnant. As the one in our family who was at the gym 3-4x a week doing spinning, kickboxing, pilates, etc., I actually teased him for the 10 minute walks he started out with...well, now he is doing 30 minutes of cardio a day, including a lot of intervals. I am very proud of him and at the same time jealous, since the entire time he has been working out I have not really been able to, or just haven't been as much as I should the past month or two since feeling better. But you can see the difference - his legs are more muscular and his midsection is looking a lot trimmer. He was trying to figure out how fast our pace was tonight, which he estimated to be maybe 3.5 mph, which for me at one time was my cool down rate. My how things have changed. About 10 minutes left in our walk my stomach was growling like crazy! When we got home, I could not make a salad fast enough while John grilled up some steaks. Go figure, I had to eat about 5 pieces of cheese because the steaks weren't ready when I was done with the salad. This is why I don't keep my Tastycake peanut butter cakes in the house all the time!!!
Thursday I am going for what I think is my final bloodwork for the pregnancy. I believe this includes the test for gestational diabetes. Fortunately only need to fast for 1 hour prior to the test...checked with the doctor to make sure since I really don't do very well on an empty stomach on a regular day never mind on a pregnant day!
I finally had to retire a few of the skirts that I was getting away with wearing...and bragging to people that "it's not even a maternity skirt" like it was some badge of honor or something to brag about! These were skirts that i wore the past few summers that were slightly big on me in the waist because the next size down didn't really work with my thunder thighs (reference the note above that I played soccer my entire life and that should explain that). A few of the skirts even had elastic wastebands, so that helped. But yesterday, I was just not comfortable in the one, and when I got a look at myself in the full length mirror, I said aloud, "whoa girl, that is totally not appropriate!" Because of my belly, the skirt was a LOT shorter than I realized, and of course than it would be if I didn't have a belly. So here I am with 3 months to go, running out of clothes. I'm working on 4 pairs of pants, 2 of which are starting to annoy me for some reason, so I may have to cave and pick up another pair on sale at Kohl's. I do have a few sundresses, including a few from my sister, and while they are all so comfy because they are flowy and what not, because they are flowy, I sometimes feel like they make me look more pregnant than I currently am! But some days, it's ONLY about the comfort, that I can attest to!
On a side note, have to recommend the movie The Hangover to everyone. If you want a good laugh, this movie will give it to you. At certain points I was crying I laughed so hard. And it wasn't raunchy, at least like you might expect a movie about a bachelor party to be. At one point i was nearly hyperventilating and I think John may have thougth i was going to go into labor because i was laughing so hard. When I talk to anyone who has seen it, we start quoting from the movie and bringing up specific scenes and...well, it's just too funny. We saw this on Friday night. Saturday, we rented Frost/Nixon - totally different extreme. John had to wake me up as I fell asleep watching it...I was really interested in seeing it, but it was not what we expected it to be.
Happy early Father's Day to all the dads out there, including John, who I am so glad finally got to feel his first few kicks!
No comments:
Post a Comment