Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Rutgers Baby Shower




Last Thursday, my co-workers at Rutgers threw me a surprise baby shower. And I was very surprised! I got a phone call around 10:30 to tell me that we were moving the 2pm meeting (which I did all the coordination for) to 12:15 due to the fact that my boss had to leave early, and there were problems with the stadium construction. I was told that everyone had been contacted about the change, and they had even ordered pizza since it was now a lunchtime meeting. I let the guys in my office know since they were in the meeting too, and called my boss's assistant to make sure she knew as well. She called me back to say she did know, but didn't know when she'd get there, as our Athletic Director's assistant was out that day and there was a big issue with the Public Safety folks and our AD was in a meeting with them and she didn't know when she'd be able to get down to the meeting, but to make sure I saved her some pizza. Mind you, everyone was carrying on about whatever the issue was with the stadium and public safety that I actually asked why the heck we were even still meeting, because it was obviously not going to be a good meeting. So now I'm scrambling to get all the stuff I need for the meeting ready - since I thought I had until 2! I get everything done, and go downstairs to make one last set of copies and realize I never got petty cash for the pizza delivery, nor did I ask the girl who changed the meeting and ordered the pizza per her boss and my boss if she'd gotten it and given it to someone. I am in a panic, because I've been thinking about lunch since 9:30 (and was planning on going out to pick up a salad), and what if no one has money to pay the pizza guy? Well, there is not a soul in the business office, where I would get the petty cash from...I decided they must have gone out for someone's birthday, and then decide I am not going to get worked up about the petty cash any more than I already am. I have about $10 in my wallet, and worst case, I'll pay the delivery guy that and take whatever he'll give me if no one else has any money, so at least I'm fed!
Back upstairs, I tell my 2 co-workers about this, and finish up what I need for the meeting, and then tell them at 12:15 we need to go. On the way downstairs, I am grumbling that the pizza had better be waiting for me as I am starving - whenever we order it's always later than it should be. I even make a comment about how everyone will probably be late anyway. My co-workers knew all along and apparently smirked at each other about that comment!). We get downstairs to the basketball court where the media center is (and we've met before for this meeting), and when I open the outer door there is a woman named Kathy standing there who does some work with video and taping for us occasionally just opening the inner door of the media center. She is not a part of this meeting. I can see people inside the room, and I also notice there is food set up in the outer kitchen area like it is for basketball games. As a result, I am thinking - crap - no one checked to see if there was something else going on in the media center...they must be doing interviews or taping or something. Then my boss's assistant Kathleen pops out from another door, and I start to say "you made it, but there is another meeting going on" when everyone yells "surprise!" Kathy opens the door further, but the first people I see are my boss and another guy who are in the meeting we are having - I am not even noticing the balloons, gifts, or other people who were not in this planned meeting! It took me a good 5 seconds at least to realize what was going on, though I was so confused I actually asked if there was a meeting or not! Then it kind of hit me and I had to compose myself because I got all teary and what not! I was so overwhelmed by all the people there, all the food, and all the gifts. The pictures above show the incredible generosity of everyone who brought gifts and made food for the shower.
Seriously, they got me really good, as usually I am very intuitive and while I may be deaf in one ear, sometimes I hear things that I am not supposed to hear, but obviously I have been quite distracted and focused on other things the past few months being pregnant and all, and I had NO CLUE about this clandestine operation! I truly was surprised and there was so much adrenaline running through my body after the initial shock that I think it scared the hunger out of me, because I don't think I ate enough, because by 3:30 that afternoon back in my office, I was famished, and had to go cut myself an enormous piece of cake from the cake that they had for the shower. I was quite exhausted that afternoon and night, but it was such a great time and I can't thank my co-workers enough for all they did - especially Kathleen, Wendy and Jeremy for having their own "planning meeting" off-site to determine how they would pull it off. Every day people are asking me how I am feeling, how I am doing, etc. I have received so much encouragement these past few months from everyone at the office, and I really have to say a special thank you to everyone in Rutgers Athletics (and a few from outside of the department who were have been so great as well) for their support.
My parents came down Saturday night til Sunday and Mom helped me go through a lot of stuff that was just piled in the nursery, including all the stuff from Thursday's shower. We received so many adorable outfits, as well as stuff off the registries, gift cards, and even a beautiful homemade crocheted (SP?) blanket. Plus, we've been receiving gifts at the house almost daily from people! It's crazy! This Saturday is the "NJ" baby shower for family and friends that my mom and sister have put together, so I've been trying to be good about organizing stuff as we receive it and finding a home for everything, because if I don't I am going to be totally overwhelmed. I am starting to wonder if we should not have put the baby in the bigger extra bedroom!!!
I also had a doctor's appointment on Monday, and have gained another (yikes) 5 pounds! My biggest jump ever in between appointments! however, it still seems to all be in my belly, and now, I am told, most of the weight I am gaining is going right to the baby, so it's all good. John came to the appointment and the doctor did some measurements and showed us everything (even confirming the 'boy' thingee! hahahaha). He said that the fetal breathing is very strong, which is excellent, and there is plenty of amniotic fluid, and the baby is no longer in the breech position like he was a few weeks ago. I am having a little bit of lower back pain that occasionally shoots down my left butt cheek and leg, but it's not agonizing, just uncomfortable. It's not constant, just depends on where the baby is laying, so he is affecting the sciatic (sp) nerve sometimes based on this - usually later in the day. I am definitely more tired and trying to get as much rest as I can, but anyone who knows me knows that I am usually someone with ants in her pants, and I feel like I should be doing something. But I am trying to do a lot of sitting/lying down when I am doing stuff - like folding laundry, or going through all the gifts the other day, but I am STILL exhausted even though I at least think I didn't overdo it! I am up about 3x a night now to go to the bathroom...oddly enough, Tails seems to be waiting out coming to bed until after my 3rd trip (usually around 5 or 5:30am) because he seems to realize I am not going downstairs to feed him after any of the trips!
We can't believe we are less than 8 weeks from the baby's due date...still have not decided on a name yet either...I know I haven't really mentioned that much, but we want to have a few options for when he is here so we can look at him and decide if he looks more like one name than another...but we are still going through the baby name book too!

No comments:

Post a Comment