Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day A Day Late!

You don't have to ask me more than once to kiss you cutie pie!

Grandma gave Tommy this sweater to wear for St. Patty's Day -
it was first worn by his cousin Alexis 10 years ago!


Sorry for the late St. Pat's post - the week has been a bit hectic - Mommy had a stomach bug on Tuesday, and it took me a few days to get back up to speed...never mind we've been changing countless diapers on our little guy unfortunately!

We had the Tommy's 6 month check up on Monday night; he is 16 pounds, 9 ounces, 26 1/4 inches. Officially in 6-9 month and 9 month clothes. He also got 3 vaccinations, which he was not too pleased about, and unfortunately he ended up with a fever on Tuesday which we think was a reaction to the shots. At the same time, he's been having a few more BM's than usual...like a lot more. Instead of one, occasionally two, it went up to 4, then 5, and then we lost count. First we thought a reaction to the shots...then was it the stomach bug? (he hasn't thrown up, and the BM's, while loose, are not what I would call the "D" word, nor has he had a fever since Tuesday afternoon.) Could it be the third "meal" we added to him late last week? We've talked to the doctor several times since our Monday night appointment, and while it could have been a combo of some or none of those things, now we think he is just not digesting the formula because the BM would happen relatively soon after a bottle, so he suggested we put him on soy for a few days. He had his first bottle of it tonight so we'll see how it goes. Poor kid had the worst diaper rash as a result - John said his butt looked like a babboon's! (It did!). But we bought some triple paste which is already making a difference, and he did not cry tonight when I changed him , which was a first in several days.
Tommy with his cousin Emily at Grandma and Pop Pop's house last weekend;
I love these 2 pictures of them - especially where they are looking at each other -
he LOVES to watch other kids!

Mommy ended up with a stomach bug on Tuesday and stayed home from work...planning to sleep the day away or catch up on some of my "shows" on the DVR (I watched one before falling asleep at 9am on the couch). Then daycare called about the fever and I had to pick Tommy up around 1pm. I was feeling better, or so I thought. Sure enough, "wave 2" hit me in the afternoon, and I admit, I put Tommy in his bouncy seat where he happily watched TV while I tried to nap. I finally felt better around 8pm after a 2 hour nap when Daddy got home; it was such a nice day he took Tommy out for a walk around the block where all the neighbors got to see how big he got since they last saw him in the fall. I found out my mom was sick with the same bug on Monday, and Tommy and I were up in Bayonne for the weekend. Tonight John is feeling a little under the weather. Hopefully the "bug" is something he is able to sleep off and not actually be sick from!

Anyhoo - probably a little more info than you all wanted to read about between the BM's and stomach bug, but that's been our life this week!

We did start Tommy on some fruits though so far he isn't really liking them much. And he is now refusing green beans. Tonight he only had half of the peas. But he can't get enough cereal in the morning when they give it to him at school! Sometimes he refuses his bottle now at school, or only takes 2-3 ounces. His teachers are great about calling to let us know this information, which is very comforting and helpful, especially this week with his BM problem! But he seems to make up for it when we are home with taking more from his bottles.

Doesn't he look so proud of himself here?

Tommy has been doing very well with sitting up (above photo from St. Patty's Day) - tonight when we got home we sat on the floor with him and he held himself up for several minutes. We had his 'rainbow tower' toy as I call it - the thing with the 5 colored "donuts" from Fisher Price - on the floor with him and he kept reaching for different ones and of course gnawing on them!

I am once again reminded how grateful I am that we don't have Tommy in daycare up by me at work. I was involved in a minor car accident on my way to work on Wednesday - literally 30 seconds from my office (I realize accidents can happen anywhere, but I've lost track of the number I've seen at this exact location, where the EXACT same thing that happened to me occurred.) . I was at a yield sign when I was hit from behind while I was waiting for another car to pass before I merged. The driver who hit me had to be towed her damage was so bad. John is bringing my car in to be checked out and for an estimate tomorrow; one other time this happened to me (my old car), and since there was no visible damage, I didn't file a report with the police. Two days later my muffler fell off and the entire exhaust system had to be replaced. Lesson learned. This time, the hatchback door has a crack though it still opens and the rubber bumper is torn in 2 places, but who knows if anything underneath was damaged. Fortunately, I am fine, as was the other driver.

This weekend we will be in Bayonne for the St. Patrick's Day parade and Tommy and I plan on marching with my mom. We are having AMAZING weather here in NJ this week - 60s and possibly in the 70s and SUNNY!!!! So far, Sunday looks good too! Next week we may get some cooler weather back, but for now, we are enjoying this early spring while we can!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you don't get the weather we had today...SNOW! Im glad to hear you are all feeling better! Hopefully, the soy will work and calm Tommy's stomach down too...give me an update!

    ReplyDelete