Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Little Things







The handsome guy in his Baby Gap outfit I bought with a 30% off coupon, but it's so cute on him I think I would have bought it regardless!



Tommy sporting the hat that goes with the outfit - surprisingly, he is very good about wearing hats SO FAR...and sunglasses!


John and I talk about the little things that we really love about Tommy that I'm sure someday we'll forget when he is older, so I decided to write down as many as I could think of so I have a record of them:


1. When Tommy is giggling and talking to himself in his crib in the morning when he first wakes up. You can't help but smile and giggle yourself when you hear him.

2. The "nose kisses" at night that Tommy lets me give him after his last bottle and before he goes in his crib. He is so relaxed, and he smiles and giggles when I do it to him!

3. How he makes these gentle noises I can't describe when I "meow" at him like one of the cats or make the "sp sp sp" noise that you use to call a cat (no idea how to spell the noise sound!).

4. The fact that he LOVES to laugh all the time. He is one silly baby, like his silly mommy and daddy!

5. When he is done eating, he makes raspberry noises with his lips. And if he isn't happy with what he is eating, he just won't open his mouth anymore - but won't give you raspberries. That's one of our first "communications" we've had so that I know I should try him on something else food wise. And so far he has always eaten the next thing I've given him!

6. After work when I pick Tommy up at daycare, he greets me with the biggest smile and laugh that makes me forget anything I was worrying about that day.

7. When I put my arms out to him to see if he wants to be picked up, he will usually raise his arms to me now!

8. Watching Tommy watch Tux and Tails when they walk around the house. He will follow them with his eyes, smile, and sometimes let out a little screetch!

9. Put Tommy in front of a mirror and say, "who's that???!!!" Hysterical - he usually gives the biggest smile and makes another noise that goes into a laugh when we do this.

10. Bathtime - something about carrying a naked baby from the changing table into the bathroom. I am waiting for the day that he pees on me, but we stop to look in the bathroom mirror and I give his hiney a little pinch and again, he makes that noise and laugh for me!

11. When I give Tommy his bottles sometimes, he likes to touch my face - usually my chin, cheek or mouth. And he likes to push my face so I'm turned away from him. It's become a game of sorts - he pushes me away, I turn back, and this continues for a few minutes!

12. Honking your nose - he's been doing this for a few weeks now, but Tommy loves to grab noses and then hear you make the honk-honk or beep-beep noise. John says it's because noses have finger holds to grab onto!

13. Being proud - when Tommy does anything, we try to make sure to give him praise for accomplishing the feat - rolling over, sitting up, eating, etc. Sometimes when he is playing or in his jumparoo or exersaucer, he will suddenly stop what he is doing, and of course we'll look to see what's up if he's gotten quiet. He just wants to make sure we aren't missing anything that he might be accomplishing!

14. The little sighs that he gives when he is tired and I am holding/rocking him before he goes to sleep at night, and sometimes during the day for naps too.




15. Everything about this little boy - I can't believe how much he has changed me!


Today, Tommy had his first cookie. He did not, of course, eat it, but just sucked on it a bit. He took it from me and looked at it, and eventually put it in his mouth, but wasn't really sure about it. So I then took one and did the same thing to show him he was doing it right! Eventually he just dropped it on his bib, but we did want to start giving him something to "chew" on because he is eating a lot more in terms of solids. It's still weird how some days he has more than others, but I read that so long as it balances out by the end of the week, it's no big deal. Like us, some days babies are hungrier than others I guess. I can't really even refer to my Baby 411 book anymore with regards to food because it technically says he should be getting 2 meals a day of jar food and only a few tablespoons. Um, Tommy eats 3x a day and sometimes 2 jars a meal.
Mom, do you have to take a picture of EVERYTHING I do?
Enjoying the cookie and looking like he is taking a real bite!

Proud of the job he did on the cookie (and no, he did not bite off anything even though it looks
like he might have!)


Tomorrow (Sunday), John's mom and sister will be arriving to visit! Tommy is so excited to see his Grandma and Aunt Maria! Unfortunately they are only here until Monday but we are so glad they were able to adjust their travel plans so Tommy can spend some time with them (and vice versa!). We wish Grandpa Chris was here too, but hopefully in a few weeks Tommy will be listening to him read a book to him for real - we have two books from John's parents where you can record yourself reading the book. John's mom recorded one, and his dad the other. Tommy loves to listen to them read to him! We also have a DVD of them reading books to him that Aunt Maria recorded for us last summer as a baby shower gift that we pop in every once in a while too!

No comments:

Post a Comment