Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Golf, Swimming and Basketball

John and I both played sports growing up, so it won't surprise us if Tommy decides to go down that road too - we hope he does, but we aren't going to force him. Soccer would be our first choice since we both played that sport, but whatever he decides to do, we'll support him.
Last week, we brought him to Eagle Oaks, the golf club that John works at, for dinner. We ate outside on the patio at The 19th Hole. Tommy was a big hit with all the members and staff. While he didn't get to go out on the course, we are sure he'll be spending many a day on the course with Daddy in the future as "Daddy's Caddy."

Tommy sporting his "Daddy's Caddy" hat and romper


Tommy's first "dinner" at Eagle Oaks Golf Club, where Daddy works

Tommy and Mommy hanging at the 19th Hole at Eagle Oaks


Daddy, I think you missed a few whiskers over here!



Tommy and Daddy hanging out after dinner at Eagle Oaks


As I mentioned in my previous post, I took Tommy in the pool at our friends' house last weekend, and he was none too pleased with me. I bought this little $4.99 pool at the grocery store for him and once again, he was not very happy. I even put some of his bath toys in there and he still wanted no part of it. Neither John nor I were swimmers, so this may not be his sport of choice when he gets older!

The baby pool did not go over any better with Tommy than the big pool did last week!

As you can see below, Tommy looks like he is crawling. Not yet - as the photo shows, he can't quite get that one leg from getting stuck underneath him. He is able to scoot around pretty well and in fact had 2 boo-boo reports from school this week already (one Monday, one Tuesday) because he was scooting so fast he bumped his head one day and scraped his cheek the other day on the bookshelf while reaching for something. More active, more mobile, means more bumps and bruises for our little boy. He also loves throwing the basketball. John taught him how to do this over Memorial Day weekend and the stinker is so proud of himself when he does it, because we of course applaud for him. We throw it back to him but he does not seem to be as impressed with our skills.

Someone looks like he's on the move...


Daddy taught me how to throw the ball

I am so proud of myself when I throw the ball and it bounces!

This kid has some reach, doesn't he?

About to make a dunk!

Saturday we took a trip to Babies R Us and went on a shopping spree...we bought a convertible car seat for my car - the Britax Marathon, a smaller pack and play that is a little easier to break down than the one we were using that had belonged to my niece Alexis. Maybe John and I were just PNP (Pack N Play) challenged, but both of us had problems taking the thing apart when we used it. We also bought a nice lightweight stroller to use for travel purposes, as we have some upcoming trips! Tommy and I are flying to Chicago to visit the Beurskens side of the family. We arrive 6/17 and return on 6/21. I am a little nervous going without John because I won't have that extra set of hands or someone to hand Tommy off to, but I'll have to figure it out. I realize I am not the first mom to be traveling alone with a baby on a plane. And then we are going to the Outer Banks for a week in early July with my family - that will be a driving trip, and for Tommy's comfort we will have the new car seat installed by then. We will be buying another, less expensive seat for John's car, since we don't use that one for long car rides.
No teeth sightings/feelings to report, and while I can't really complain because he has been so good for the most part, we're still trying to figure out why Tommy is not sleeping as well at night anymore. I feel like we are backtracking a bit because we sort of got him sleep trained without really trying, and now we have to go in and comfort him. Because I wasn't feeling good myself recently, I broke my rule of not bringing him into our bed the last 2 nights because I know we all just needed some good sleep. It seemed like he just needed someone close by to relax, because he did sleep fine with us after I caved both nights. Even when my annoying phone alarm and alarm clock went off he briefly opened his eyes and went back to sleep. Hopefully this is just a temporary phase and we'll get back on track. And now that I am feeling better hopefully I'll stick to my guns if he wakes up now. I even went out at lunch today and ran around the track. I just planned on walking, but I alternated walking and running laps so I gave myself a bit of an interval workout. Glad I did since I ended up eating 2 pieces of ice cream cake for someone's birthday in the office later in the day. And for what cleared up my congestion - I did a neti pot treatment last night. All these years of allergies (I do get shots) and sinus infections and I had never heard of it until yesterday! A colleague of mine suggested it, and I was feeling a bit desperate because I was so exhausted with lack of sleep from the congestion and Tommy's middle of the night wakings. It was weird and I nearly choked a few times, but it totally cleared out my sinuses!








3 comments:

  1. Cute pictures! Colin's last day of school for the summer is tomorrow!! :( We might have to get together for a play date over the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one handsome little boy you have there:) And doing so many wonderful things! Love those basketball pics....way to go Tommy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute pictures !! I read, that babies can wake up during the night, because they have to process things that happened during the day. Not much you can do about it, just comfort them. Love reading your blog. I am curious how your trip to Charleston will go. Have fun. Love, Astrid xx

    ReplyDelete