Saturday, September 17, 2011

Long (Literally) Overdue Birthday Party Post

WARNING...PHOTO OVERLOAD!

I did not include all the photos from the day Tommy turned 2, but there are a lot.  Since I did a poor job of capturing decorations, the cake, and any photos of Tommy in nice posed photos with anyone (including his parents and grandparents), you'll have to settle for what follows.

The morning started with us letting Tommy open one gift that we thought would be a hit at the party (not sure it really was) - a tent with a tunnel!


Instead of a wooden leg - sunlit leg!

Tommy, his 3 pillow pets and Orange Guy testing out the new digs that have now taken over the family room
The party started at 2pm; we borrowed my brother's moonbounce since there were going to be a few younger kids, and it was a big hit. I rented a small helium tank that would inflate up to 70 balloons.  I had only ordered 18 balloons when I ordered all the Dora and Diego stuff a month ago on-line, so I ended up buying more at the party store because I wanted my money's worth out of that helium tank. Not sure what I was thinking...it was a lot of work to just get 40-50 blown up and placed around the deck.

As mentioned, this was a Dora and Diego party...more Diego, with some Dora sprinkled in.  I think we watched the Diego video about 800 times in a month, which is why I focused more on Diego.  And Diego, or rather, Adventure Boy (because the companies who you hire to do these characters don't have the licenses to use the official Dora and Diego names), made an appearance to hang out with the kids!

Tommy's buddy Colin giving him a look that says, "You are crazy, my friend!"

Needing some alone time before Diego's arrival

Look who's here!!!

Hugging it out

Getting the monkey back on the parachute for everyone (do you see all my balloons in the background?)

Mommy did a better job playing with the parachute than Tommy did

Better shot of the balloons. And unfortunately, stills don't showcase my dance moves here.

Cousins Emma and Kaitlyn doing the chicken dance...and maybe the chicken FACE??

While the day started out sunny, it quickly became overcast, and we got some sprinkles just after we got everything set up outside. Quickly got what needed to go under cover, under cover. Then the sun came BLAZING out. It was hot and sunny, as you saw above.  Diego needed a break, so I told all the kids he had to go upstairs and take a nap, but would be back shortly. While that happened, the 2 girls from the party company did temporary tattoos with the kids.  And we moved everything to the SHADY side of the house!

Tommy was really good at the limbo, walking right under the bar

Dancing and shaking the tambourine

Tommy's new best friend

Wasn't sure how he'd do with the character, but the visits at daycare over the summer must have helped!

LOVE this face!

The role Diego was played by one of Tommy's daycare teachers and babysitters, Miss Heather.  She LOVES Tommy, and was so happy that we requested her specially to come to Tommy's party as Diego.

After Diego left to go and rescue a jaguar, the kids played in the water table for a bit.  Everyone was drenched.  All the moms changed their kids into dry clothes eventually...but as you'll notice, Tommy's got his special birthday shirt on through the end of the night.  And he was pretty drenched.  Good mommy.

We also had a Diego pinata that the kids enjoyed picking up the candy from...no one actually "pulled' the lucky string...well, one of them did, but it was a dud pinata because I ended up having to rip the thing open with my bare hands at the end since all the strings had been pulled and nothing was falling out even though the thing was opened.  Turns out I may have overstuffed it with candy...it was not a very big pinata.


Cousin Molly, Tommy, and his best bud Colin discussing water table contents 

Size order line up for the pinata, and the only picture I have of MOST of the kids.  Actually, maybe half the kids.

Oooh!  Oooh!  Love that expression!

Someone is obsessing about the orange icing he just wiped onto his fingers

Very excited to do the REAL thing as opposed to the test run earlier in the week

This is it!

Very proud of himself...but did not eat the cake.  Tommy was happy with an orange ice pop.

Another new addition to Tommy's garage!

Best, because it's the funniest, picture of my mom with her girls and their kids (my brother did not make it as my nephew got sick that morning)
Hoop from Mommy and Daddy that is now in the family room.  I purchased it.

Tommy enjoys ripping open the cards

Very excited about another ball...one of about 13 that he got as a gift or part of a gift.

That would be a golf bag that also now resides in my family room. Soon enough, backyard!

I think he really is reading the card!

Very excited about all the cleaning supplies he got for his birthday!

One of TWO (yes, 2) soccer goals that are now in my family room along with the hoop and golf set.

Last addition to the living room unless we clear out the furniture - t-ball stand


Mommy and her TWO year old baby!

Cousin Lexi can always make the Tomster laugh!

Tommy cleaning up the mess from his birthday party

Despite the fact that I did not get any pictures to capture Tommy with even just us, we had a wonderful day. Tommy had a blast, and even with only a ONE hour nap, did surprisingly well.  We are so grateful to all of our family and friends who celebrated the day with us and were so generous to Tommy. It was a long day for everyone, but very well worth it! Of course, we paid for it that night as Tommy woke up with night terrors several times...more on that in another post, since this was that 3rd time in a month we experienced that!


2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Tommy! I'm so sorry I missed the party. It looks like you guys had a great time! The decorations are so cute! Can't wait to see you guys in November! LYMY

    ReplyDelete
  2. we were so happy to be a part of Tommy's special day! thanks for including us! we love having colin and tommy as buddys!! :)

    ReplyDelete