Thursday, April 19, 2012

He Likes to Keep Busy

There are days that I can just sit and stare at my little guy and do nothing. Just looking at him makes me so happy and content. But, a 2 1/2 year old wants to DO things, so I try to keep him busy. In fact, Tommy just likes to be busy, I have decided.  Always wants to be doing something; rarely content to just sit and relax, even when we are home watching some TV, he is always doing something else, whether it's playing with a toy or on the iPad. Reminds me of myself, always needing to multi-task.

My little man refused to take a nap on Saturday afternoon, which was NOT good since we were taking him to his first pro sporting event - the Nets-Celtics basketball game. I finally gave up around 2pm and we went outside for more than 2 hours, playing with chalk, blowing bubbles, riding in his many vehicles, playing ball (which includes t-ball, soccer, golf, and catch). When we went inside a little before 4:30, Tommy asked for a drink, and wanted to watch Diego.  Once I set him up, I quick ran upstairs to get myself changed and grab a change of clothes for Tommy as well. Five minutes later, this is what I came downstairs to find:


He may have fallen asleep standing up if he were actually doing that at the time
Poor kid was more exhausted than either he or I realized, but he was having a blast outside.  I let him sleep while I put some things together in a bag to take to the game, loaded everything in the car, and waited until the last minute to wake Tommy up to get him changed before we picked Daddy up at work and drove the hour or so up to Newark for the game. Let's just say, the Tomster was not happy! He kept telling me he wanted "to go home," so the poor kid was obviously dreaming and I woke him up at a critical point. He cried getting in the car and wanted no part of beeping the horn, which is something we have to do lately every time we get in or out of the car...no matter where we are. I thought he might fall asleep on the drive up, but no such luck...until about 20 minutes before we arrived, which again, I worried, would mean we'd be in for a not so pleasant reaction when we had to get him out of the car. I was most definitely second guessing this "great" idea I had to take advantage of free tickets for some awesome seats.

Lo and behold, Tommy surprised us. He was alert and excited as we got out of the car and walked to the arena - apparently he could feel the buzz of excitement around him as we walked with the crowd. And the fact that we told him we'd get some popcorn, one of his FAVORITE snacks, may have had something to do with his great attitude. Once in our seats, Tommy was bopping along to the music that was playing at times, and even making some of his own music as if he were singing along...I had more fun watching him than the game!


Even though we did not have a ticket for Orange Guy, because he sat on someone's lap, he was allowed to enter

The iPad came in handy at certain points when Tommy's attention span was a little short

Tommy giving Mini-Sly the side eye 

On Sunday, I was prepared to have another napless afternoon from Tommy even though it was a long day and night on Saturday, but my boy must have known Mommy needed some catch up time of her own and slept for just over 2 hours after we got home from church.

A boy and his cat after their early afternoon naps

We were having some incredible weather so I decided to venture up to the boardwalk with Tommy...first time I was doing so alone, and I was a little apprehensive since I did not know how he'd do.  Would he run off while I tried to catch him pushing a stroller? Would he go on the rides alone? Last year he was hesitant about most of the rides. He'd ask to go on the merry-go-round and sit on a horse, but once on the ride, he'd fight me and we'd have to sit on the bench.

What a difference a year makes! Tommy went on almost every ride that he met the height requirements for - the first one he insisted going on was the Dizzy Dragons, which is a kid's version of the Tilt-A-Whirl.  As a kid, I loved the ride.  As an adult, I despise any ride that spins or goes in circles.  Within 10 seconds, I was wishing I'd bribed him not to go on the ride. Tommy loved it though, until maybe the last 30 seconds, when he said, "Mommy, I don't like this ride." I admitted to him that I didn't either, and asked if his tummy or head was bothering him like mine were, but he said no.  I think he was just bored with the ride!

Next were a bunch of rides he went on by himself - the boats, firetrucks, and the Nemo ride.  His face was priceless on that ride, because it went up high and then down low, and he kept saying "wooooaaaahhhhh" and laughing.  People around me were getting a big kick out of how animated he was. We then did the merry go round where he sat on a horse without fighting me - I felt a bit teary that we'd hit a milestone of sorts and he was growing up! And then we went on the truck ride together because he was too small to go on it alone.

Loving the Nemo ride!

Big boy on the merry-go-round

This is such a weird picture of the two of us - I'm smiling too hard, and Tommy looks like he can't believe he has to go on this ride with his mother making that weird face.
After the last ride, I suggested we get some drinks and snacks, and I should not be surprised that Tommy managed to find himself some "fruity snacks" in the fudge shop - he loves the ones I get at the grocery store with Dora, Toy Story, and other favorite characters of his, but this time he found a bag of Angry Birds...I wish I'd gotten pictures of him scouring the shelves looking for what he wanted...it was like he was on a mission to find something, though he did not know what, but when he found the Angry Birds bag, he yells out, "Angry Birds fruit cups!" (I have no idea why he calls them fruit cups - he does this with the ones I buy at the store too...they are definitely not fruit...just fruity flavored.). And the fact that he knew that's what they were though, just baffled my mind.

We had a little walk back to the car, and Tommy quickly agreed to sit in the stroller and eat his Angry Birds. Daddy brought a pizza home that night and we enjoyed it outside on the deck - our first dinner outside this season. Next we had a mini soccer game in the yard and Tommy and Daddy tried to throw balls on the roof.

I think we all got a good night's sleep on Sunday after our fun-filled weekend...Tommy is just a ball of energy who keeps us on our toes!

1 comment:

  1. We are tossing around the idea of taking our girls to a St. Louis Cardinals game this summer. My dad is a season ticket holder and in August they have a "Build-a-Bear" day...taking the iPad was a GREAT idea. I may have to cave in and actually give this a shot. Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete