Monday, May 17, 2010

Sleep Positions

Saturday morning I heard Tommy a little before 6am, and groaned, as I was not ready to get up. I am not a morning person, though I've been forced to become better about getting up if I want to be ready for work before the little man wakes up and takes over! While he jabbered, I went downstairs to feed Tux and Tails because Tails was doing his daily "parade" back and forth on John and I to see who would get up to feed him - 98% of the time it's me. This cat throws himself onto my face and I actually move over to let him lay on my pillow and rub his tummy. He'll give some "love" bites to both John and I, John will call him a jackass and sometimes squirt him with the water bottle. Eventually, I cave and get up, and most mornings I thank him because I've already hit snooze 2 times when I shouldn't have. So I caved, and got up to feed the cats. By the time I came back upstairs, Tommy had quieted down, and I chose not to open his door for fear of waking him again, so I went back to bed.

Fast forward to about 7:15, and the chatter was up a notch along with a slightly different tone to it and we knew from the "mamamamama" and "bababababababa" we were hearing that Code Red was nearing if we didn't get up. Well, here's what we found when we went in:




Yup, someone was on his tummy. First time we have ever discovered him like this. Of course, I have been wondering if he had been in that position since 6am when I first heard him, or did it happen closer to actual wake up time? We'll never know. He wasn't complaining, but since he's been a bit lazy about wanting to roll over even though we have seen him do it, he couldn't get himself on his back - though he is at least smiling as he tries!
On Saturday night, I found him in this position, with his feet up on the bumper. He loves to bang his feet on his mattress and the bumper, so I'm sort of dreading the day we have to remove the bumper because I think the noise will be so loud and I'm concerned he might hurt himself. Though maybe it will teach him quickly to NOT bang his feet on the sides!



And then tonight (Monday), I had to take this photo after Tommy finally fell asleep. He was a little upset but not screaming/crying, just whining. I usually leave him be for a little while before going in to see if he's okay, as most nights he figures it out and falls asleep on his own pretty quickly. But I did have to go in and replace the binky once, and then all of a sudden I keep hearing the music changing on the music machine, which you can see below on the side of his crib. The little booger was kicking it with his feet and somehow hitting the buttons constantly to change the music. Smart kid!


Saturday, Tommy and I took a ride to see my niece Alexis play soccer. Unfortunately they lost, but she had some good kicks and played well on defense. Afterwards, she came back to our house to be my mother's helper for the rest of the weekend! I might be getting a little spoiled with this mother's helper thing!


Here is my handsome boy after having lunch in his stroller at Lexi's soccer game. He was flirting with all the moms


Lexi teaching Tommy a little about the game of soccer

Future soccer star? John and I both played the sport, so we'll see!


Hanging on the front lawn before a walk to the park


Happy as can be getting ready to leave for school on Monday morning!

Still nothing to report on any teeth. I did pick up some stage 3 foods; tried some pears which were fine, but the lasagna and meat sauce was not to someone's liking just yet. I didn't realize it had little round thingees in it, but I gave Tommy a small spoonful since the jar was already open. His face was priceless but I did not have the camera nearby! We'll put the other jar to the back of the shelf for now. I also got him some biter biscuits which I feel safer about giving him than the cookies right now because they don't break as easily.
I just started researching convertible car seats because pretty soon Tommy is going to be too big for his infant seat. We will use it as long as we can, but I think I was a bit clueless as to how long we'd need an infant seat. I must have missed the chapter on convertible car seats because I thought the infant seat would go the whole first year and then he'd end up in a forward facing seat at age one. Not that realistic for most kids apparently. In my research, I'm also finding that "they" recommend a rear facing seat until age two now, if possible. I'm on the fence about that because for safety reasons it's recommended, but I can't wait until I can see Tommy in the mirror. (FYI, we gave up on the mirror mounted on the back seat for various reasons, but honestly, I could not really see him very well anyway. Plus, I would always forget to put the handle down, so when I had the mirror up, all I saw was the handle and his toys hanging from it anyway.) Our plan is to get a convertible car seat so we can have it rear facing for as long as we decide to keep it that way (at least til he is one) and then we can use it forward facing.

Not much progress made on baby proofing the house either, which is going to bite us in the butt any day. Tommy is not crawling, but he can scoot himself around a little. Tux and Tails are getting a little freaked out because Tommy goes crazy when he is sitting on the floor and they walk by. This week John asked me to exchange the mount for the 50" flat screen TV that he got on the VERY cheap to mount over the fireplace. Yes, that is the man's idea of babyproofing the house...a new TV (which I do realize will eliminate the TV where someone will be pushing buttons and what not). Me, I'd like to get the litter boxes moved to the basement and a cat door installed for Tux and Tails. And we need to figure out where we are putting gates and purchase them. Having an open floor plan has created a challenge because we want to make sure where the gates go is the best place for where we want Tommy to be. We'll get there, but just like Tommy's arrival 10 days early took us by surprise, I'm sure the scoot/crawl thing will too and we'll just have to react and figure it out that much sooner!




1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! Those pictures are hilarious! Cora is all over her crib...she is always somewhere different when we go in there. We have a video monitor, and I love watching her toss and turn. No crawling or teeth yet here either...they are like two peas in a pod, aren't they? When are you coming to Charleston???? xoxo

    ReplyDelete