Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Big Bear, A Tooth, and Transition

A few posts back I posted a picture of Tommy with this huge bear in Costco, and I specifically said that no one was to buy the bear for him - it was too big, and we didn't need it. I'd like to thank those of you who do follow our blog for following direction. Someone else didn't, however, and she needs to be punished, don't you think?


Tommy LOVES his new Big Teddy!


Checking out the button on Big Teddy

Little man can't get enough of his new furry friend!


I think someone is trying to get a hug back from Big Teddy!


Mommy, can we keep him?
Now how can I say no after all those cute pictures, right? I mean, I should just forgive the person who brought this BIG Teddy into our house, don't you think? I mean, she meant well, and she did get it for FREE (along with 2 big garbage bags of other stuffed animals and gifts) at the GUND warehouse that is closing down. Her friend from work invited her to join her to look around as one of her friends works at GUND and it was a Family and Friends FREE event. Seriously - boxes of stuffed animals, photo frames, mugs, etc. to take - she just had to bring a new toy (no stuffed animals) that would be donated to an underprivileged child. AND, her feet got filthy from walking around the warehouse in sandals in the process.
So now that you've helped talk me through this, I am going to forgive her...

She is ME.

Yes, I am the guilty one. But as explained above, it was too good of a deal, you know? I did pick up a few things as gifts for others. I can't say what, since you never know who might be on the receiving end of some of the items (hehehehe!) And because it was FREE, I did not have buyer's remorse for bringing home 2 bags of mostly stuffed animals. While I was at the place, I did keep asking myself if we really needed this, but figured I'd sort it out later, maybe donate some of the items to an organization that would get them to kids who don't have anything. A lot of the stuff is holiday related (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter), so it will be fun to bring out for Tommy to play with at those times of the year.


In "Tommy news", someone's first tooth FINALLY broke through on Friday, 8/27. I could feel it when I got my finger in his mouth, which is not easy to do with this boy. Smart kid - I mean, seriously, do you let people just randomly stick their fingers in your mouth? Tommy likes for me to "nibble" on his finger sometimes - it's a little game we play and it makes him laugh! I've had a few requests for photos of the tooth, but so far, no luck. We'll keep trying.

Tommy over the weekend drinking from Aunt Karyn's water bottle that he confiscated.

On Monday, Tommy officially moved out of the Baby Buds room at his daycare and into the Rose Blossoms (12-18 month room). We knew the plan was to move him in there as of 9/1, but on Friday I found out that Monday would be his first day. I was so not prepared, as I had not brought the thank you gifts for his teachers, didn't have a bag to take his clothes from under the crib...and oddly it made me a bit emotional. I know it was only 2 days earlier than planned, but I have to admit this was more difficult for me than when we dropped him off that first day back in January when I went back to work. My boy is growing up! Honestly, it was just a formality, as Tommy was spending most of his day in the RB room in recent weeks, from 9:30-4:30. But mentally I had not prepared myself - I didn't think I needed to, so that's probably why it hit me a little harder than I expected. John and I both went to drop him off to get the lay of the land, as I had not been in the RB room since we toured the school last summer, and I wanted both of us to be familiar with the routine in the AM for drop off. As soon as we got there, Tommy was off and running, busy playing with many of the toys in there. He is a VERY busy little boy, always looking for something to do or play with - almost like he can't NOT be doing anything. Definitely a trait from his Mommy!



Tommy checking out what's in the mailbox with Ms. Rae on the first day of school


My mom has been staying with us since Friday, as she watched Tommy on Saturday since both John and I had to work. I am really crazy at work right now since our football season opens on Thursday night. Hard to believe a year ago I was wrapping things up to go on maternity leave. I think I had more done by this point last year because I was so afraid I'd go into labor before the first game. This year, I feel like I'm being pulled in 100 different directions, and have constant interruptions so that I can't get everything done. Somehow I will finish what I need to before Thursday night - I always do, but I can't seem to stay focused on MY work, but keep getting pulled to help out with other important things. I guess last year people let me stay focused on just my stuff, and now that I'm not 9 months pregnant, we are back to how things used to be!
Mom watched Tommy today as well, as daycare was closed for teacher in-service day. He was very good for her both days, and like us, she is amazed at what a busy little boy he is. He is always doing something, playing with something, walking everywhere. It was nice to come home to my smiling little boy tonight, who was trying to get Tails to play with some of his toys. We think it's hysterical that Tails does not run away from Tommy or out of the room - I really do think they are going to have a special relationship!


Tails walked up to Tommy in this shot - of course, both have the same goal of trying to escape out the back door onto the deck with Daddy!


Tommy trying to lure Tails out from under his music table


Tommy tries to "give" Tails a toy!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats, Tommy! I'm so happy his tooth finally came in. Those pictures are priceless! He loves that little bear...too cute. I'm SO EXCITED to see you guys next week. Love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hysterical!...Scott and I were cracking up when we read about the bear. Congrats to Tommy's first tooth-thank god right? I bet you were worried he may not have any...kinda like I am worried Cora is NEVER going to walk!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete