Long overdue, I have finally changed up the blog design a little. The picture I had of Tommy was from March 2010, when he was 6 months old! He will be 17 months on Thursday...that's awful of me! The new photo is from when Tommy was 12 months old...so even that's a bit out of date. But still better than what I had up. And while he's changed somewhat since that photo, he still has the same look. I had been meaning to update the look of the blog and the photo for a while, but kind of got comfortable...I'm not always that receptive to change, even though I KNOW it can be good!
Take Tommy. He has totally changed our lives for the better. Sure, it's been challenging at times figuring out this mommy thing, but ultimately, I can't imagine life without him and certainly don't remember what it was like before he arrived.
There are some things I've mentioned before that were BIG changes for me. Number one - being able to get a workout in. Before I got pregnant, I was at the gym 3-4 nights a week. But all-day sickness for nearly 5 months stopped me in my tracks. After Tommy arrived, we had a nice warm autumn and I got tons of walks in with him in the stroller. But for someone like me used to doing marathon spin classes and kickboxing, never mind I played soccer growing up and still strive to get back into half the shape I was in during my competitive days, it's been a little frustrating. I've been good on and off since returning to work last January squeezing in workouts when I can. I'll go a few weeks taking 2 nights of classes after work when John can do pick up at daycare, but then my schedule gets crazy with working games and that goes by the wayside. Or I'll go for a few weeks at lunchtime to get on the treadmill or sometimes take a class, but again, something throws me off. Instead of making a specific resolution to go to classex "x" times a week or work out "y" days a week, I've decided to just go with the flow. I bring my gym bag to work everyday, and if I can squeeze a lunchtime workout in, great. If it works for me to go to class after work that week, great. I just have to remember not to overdo it. Last Monday I had the bright idea to do stairs at work - my office is in a basketball arena so there are plenty of stairs (fun fact - Martina Navratilova used to come and run the stairs here years ago, as she was friendly with one of the tennis coaches at the time). I only lasted 10 minutes and wasn't paying attention to my form and ended up with shin splints...plus having used muscles I hadn't used in a while...I could barely walk the rest of the week. Today I attempted the stairs again, and went 5 minutes longer and a few more sets. And I made sure I was not going to get shin splints this week!
The next big change - my nails. Before Tommy, I got a manicure every other week. Pedicure every 4-6 weeks, depending on time of year. I hate not having polish on my nails. After Tommy's arrival - geez, what a difference. I still hated not having polish on my nails, but I lived with it. I switched from dark colors to the light pinks so the chips weren't as noticeable. I hate my nails being naked of color, but I hate my nails being chipped even more. Convinced myself to go light. Except that the chips still really bother me, dark or light polish. This past week, I think I was without polish 5 of the 7 days. Not even a clear base coat. Not pretty (at least to me), but nothing bad happened because I didn't have nail polish on. But I will admit I just did my nails while playing around on Blogger, Facebook and Snapfish...
And what about multitasking? Well, I've always been pretty good at that. But holy cow, I have to say, I never realized how good you really become at that when you are a mommy. I didn't get home til 8pm tonight, in time to chill with Tommy for a few minutes before putting him to bed. He fought me a bit tonight so I never even ate dinner until after 9pm - which I picked up at Wegman's after my allergy shots tonight. So I didn't cook as part of the multitasking...but after I ate (while watching part of last night's episode of Glee - multitasking), I made Tommy's lunch and dinner for tomorrow, made my lunch for tomorrow, ironed my clothes for tomorrow, washed the dishes, folded the towels from the last load of laundry over the weekend, and finished watching Glee. All in less than an hour.
Admittedly, some nights I'm more efficient than others getting stuff done. I might get sidetracked, say, if People magazine arrived that day in the mail, and as much as I try holding off until I'm done with my "evening chores," sometimes I can't resist. The one thing I don't do, however, is sit on the couch watching TV. Want proof? Our DVR is over 80% full. Not sure if that means I DVR too many shows, or perhaps I need to take the time to sit and watch the shows. Honestly, I usually catch up watching them while getting stuff ready for the next day in the kitchen - after Daddy konks out on the couch I just steal the remote and change whatever he's watching. That's probably another reason we're 80% full on the DVR - Daddy doesn't finish any of his shows because he falls asleep watching them! But I need to get caught up... not sure what I'm going to have to change to make that happen, but I'll work on it!
I left my camera at my aunt and uncle's house over the weekend, so I have nothing to share as far as new pictures of my handsome little man - maybe that's what finally pushed me to change the blog's look, as I felt guilty...that's another thing I need to work on changing...feeling guilty about silly things. Let me know if you have suggestions for that!
No comments:
Post a Comment