Monday night I said to John that we need to lower the crib again as Tommy looked like he was trying to catapult himself out when I was putting him to bed that night. We figured we'd do it this weekend. Haha...Tommy showed us - don't put off til Saturday what you NEED to do today!
I actually woke up at 5am, thinking it was later (like 7am, even though it was still dark outside), so I was not in a deep sleep. John was asleep on the couch downstairs - he konks out there pretty much every night, and I nudge him awake 2-3 times to go upstairs to bed, the last time being when I'm heading to bed for the night. What usually happens is that he gets up, goes to the pantry, and pulls out a snack of potato chips or cookies and then falls asleep again on the couch. Sometimes he'll make it upstairs but plenty of times he's still on the couch when I get up to shower in the morning. Yes, John, I'm calling you out on this in the blog, so now everyone knows!
This morning, both of us were jarred awake by a loud THUMP. My adrenaline kicked into high gear before I even heard Tommy's cries. When I opened his door, I admit to looking in the crib first, hoping I wasn't going to find him on the floor, but that was not the case. We have no way of reenacting what happened, but he must have woken up and turned on the music on the little "aquarium" that hangs inside his crib, because that was on. Or perhaps his foot hit that and turned it on when he was climbing out, as a friend at work suggested. And his nameless "Orange Guy" from Dr. Seuss was on the floor as well. Not sure if he dropped Orange Guy and was going to get him, or if Orange Guy fell out with Tommy. Either way, we were all a bit shaken up. John heard the thump downstairs, and while our cats make a lot of noise when they jump down off of the bed or a counter, this was louder than that. We all laid down in our bed and snuggled for a bit until my alarms (yes, alarms - I am so NOT a morning person) went off. Apparently that may have been Tommy's motive all along because he snuggled up right away once we laid down!
Here are some pictures from tonight so you have proof the little guy's okay:
Standing in his Curious George "tin." Just started doing this tonight because he can.
Tommy is really fine though. we checked him out and did not find any bumps or bruises, and he was his usual self this morning, not wanting to get his diaper changed or put his clothes on. Tonight after his bath, he ran into his room to check out why Daddy had the crib turned on its side (YES, WE LOWERED THE CRIB TONIGHT!) , and attempted to help him (mind you, he's in his birthday suit, refusing to let me put a diaper on him). So I think you'd agree, he's fine.
My mom told me that it's often around the 17-18 month mark that crib climbing happens. So he's on target for that milestone apparently. I wasn't done celebrating his graduation to the Acorns yet!
Oh my goodness! Is it too late to stick him in a sleepsack? That will keep him from jumping over, ha! Toddler bed here you come!!
ReplyDelete