Not that anyone is bugging me to update the blog, but I feel guilty if I don't post something at least once a week. Like the few of you reading this are stalking me, right?
I know I have complained a lot about my lack of time to exercise and get to the gym on the blog. Well, it appears I have turned a corner on that. I started doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred about 2 weeks ago. (She being Jillian from The Biggest Loser, which I do not watch.) Well, 16 days ago, as today was day 16 of me doing the workouts. I picked up the DVD at Target on impulse; I happened to cut down the aisle that had the workout gear and videos in it and it literally jumped out at me. I stood there looking at it and reading and re-reading the info on the back, trying to decide if I should get it. When I saw the price was only $9, that was what made me go for it. When I got back to my office, I decided I should read some reviews about the program...some of them scared me, but I mostly felt excited about it, and couldn't wait to get home to start the program.
The straw that broke the camel's back for starting this program? Backtrack one day, when I dragged Tommy to the Hanes Outlet for a few items I needed, which included some BodyShapers for a few dresses I'd purchased because I needed some help sucking my mid-section in a bit more. I dragged the poor kid, in his stroller, into the dressing room with me. As I'm trying on these things, Tommy looks at me and starts yelling, "No No, Mama! No No!" He was L.O.U.D. And he kept repeating it. I wanted to believe that he was saying, "No No, Mama, you don't need those! You are perfect!" but what I heard was "Mama, I am horrified at what I'm looking at, and need to cover up my eyes!"
In all seriousness, the kid says "No No Mama" to me several times a day. Even says it to the cats when they shouldn't be on the table or trying to sneak out the door. It's quite adorable. But when you're in a dressing room, trying on BodyShapers to hold in certain jiggly sections...I did explain to him that while it was not the most flattering thing to look at on me at that point, that when I wore it under a cute dress, he'd be proud of his Mama. I then gave him a few goldfish and he was quiet the rest of the time.
I own several VHS and DVD workout videos, and have gone through phases of using them and then not using them. My all-time fave up to this point was the first one I ever purchased - a 1991 step aerobics video from Cher. Yes, THE Cher. She did not lead the workout, but she's front and slightly right or left of center in her weird Cher garb. Awesome 45 minute workout. Over the years I've bought several other series, including Tae-Bo, Buns/Thighs/Abs of Steel, The Firm, some Reebok Step workouts, Pilates, and most recently, Zumba. I truly enjoyed the Zumba classes I took at the gym after having Tommy. Heard great things about the DVD, so I got it. And the routines are good, but the guy who created it - ugh, he drives me batty and I just wasn't motivated to to do the workouts regularly. He doesn't lead the workout, but he's annoying to me, so it was an excuse to not do the workout.
My favorite workout on DVD today is the 30 Day Shred, after 16 days in. It's only a 20 minute workout, which is perfect for a working mom. The workout came out in 2008 or 2009, so I'm a little late to the party, but I don't care. The important thing is that I'm doing the workout EVERY day/night. Mostly at night, because I wait until Tommy is asleep. I'm not doing it to lose weight, but to tone up and redistribute where that weight is sitting. Proof? When I took my measurements as the instructions say you should before starting, I totally forgot to weigh myself - just measured my arms, thights, waist, etc. Only realized 3 days in that I never got on the scale. But if I do lose some pounds, I'll accept that of course! I even took before photos and will take after photos. Sorry, I don't plan to post either set.
The DVD has 3 different workouts on it - level 1, 2 and 3, each level supposed to be progressively harder. Each level has a warm up and cool down and 3 six minute circuits. Each circuit consists of 3 minutes of stength, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs. I have sweated more after each 20 minute workout than I have after some hour long spin classes. I am definitely FEELING a difference, and the fact that one pair of shorts was sliding off of me last night while I did the workout had me very excited...means the pooch is shrinking! I do some of the modified versions of the exercises, but am still sweating like crazy and exhausted after the 20 minutes are over.
I have not made any drastic changes to my diet/eating habits. Everything in moderation is my "diet." My big weakness is wanting to snack on some chocolate late at night, particularly my Tastycake CandyCakes. I don't have them every night, and in fact, haven't had a package since Monday night. But I don't deprive myself either. Everything in moderation. I mean, I don't eat 4 of the 6 packs from the box when I do have them...I just take one pack!
I truly feel like Jillian is my very own personal trainer and I don't want to disappoint her. She tells me I can't phone it in and need to make the most of the 20 minutes, so I do. It's so weird since she's on my TV and not really in the living room with me. I notice I have more energy throughout the day since starting this, and I'm feeling much happier in general - working out regularly always made me feel that way. I feel like I'm starting to get a piece of me back that has been missing for a while. I want to be the best "Mama" to my little boy, and this renewed spirit and energy I have found the past few weeks has made me feel more confident about myself and my abilities as a mom. I won't be perfect, but I also want to set a good example for Tommy about taking care of yourself and exercising.
Good luck! I am sure you can find a lot of free work out videos online.
ReplyDelete