Monday, May 23, 2011

30 Day Shred Results

I posted a few weeks ago about purchasing the 30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels on DVD - without ever reading a review or asking around if anyone had done it.  At the time of the posting, I'd made it about halfway through the workouts.  Well, I can officially say that I completed the program!  It did take me 35 days, but I knew that was a likelihood before I started the program since I was going to be away for a 4-day weekend. The 5th extra day was due to a wake I had to go to and my head was pounding so much when I got home, I knew it was more important for me to skip that night and add an extra day on at the end.

So, how did I do?  Here are the numbers:

Left arm: lost 1”
Right arm:  lost ¼”
Left thigh:  grew 1/4"
Right thigh: grew ½”
Upper waist: no change
Lower waist: lost 1”
Hips: lost 1”

As for my weight, I've either stayed the same if you go based on what I was when I remembered to weigh myself 3 days into the program, or I gained about 2-3 pounds based on what I'm "usually" at when I do get on the scale at home.  I wasn't doing this to lose weight, just to redistribute and tone up. 

Ultimately, however, it's how I feel.  I feel good.  I have much more energy and endurance, and really can see that difference the past few days when I did the Shred workouts to get a workout in and was able to really do the workout as a workout, rather than part of the program.  I said I'd continue the workouts 2-3 times a week after I completed the program, and I got 3 workouts in since finishing the official program last Monday night. 

While my thighs apparently grew, I've always had what I call "thunder thighs" since I was a soccer player.  Friends used to call me "She-Ra" (remember she was He-man's female version) even before I was a teenager.  My muscles weren't bulging, in case you were wondering, but I was nicely toned and I've noticed that I can see that definition in my calf muscle moreso now than I have in MANY years! 

My clothes are fitting me better, especially around the waist and hips, as evidenced by the numbers above. 

And not doing the workouts every night have been a nice thing too - I was so stressed trying to fit the workout in, between making dinner, putting Tommy to bed, getting stuff ready for the next day, and trying to fit in some "relax" time.  Now, knowing that I don't have to do the workout every night, I'm enjoying it more too.  And my body thanks me - my joints were complaining a bit near the end, so taking a day or two off in between and varying up which level workout I do each time is also a good thing...I can go easy with level one, or if I'm feeling energetic push on level two, which I still think is the hardest of all three workout levels. 

I'm thought about doing the Ripped in 30 DVD at some point, but need to give myself a break from the every night deal, so that's tabled for now.  I do hope to get back to my spinning class once a week for the summer months, and also to get out and walk with Tommy, just for some variation.

I finally took some after photos so I can compare with the before ones, but I'm not posting either set.  I just wanted to be able to see if I saw a difference.  I have not looked at the photos side by side yet, so I'm not sure.  There is still room for improvement, I admit.  While my "pooch" is still there, not as much of it's there anymore.  If I changed a few things with the way I eat, I know I'd see more changes.  But I'm going to continue to get in at least 2-3 nights of the DVD plus some other activities and see how it goes.  The program definitely jump started my metabolism and energy level, so we'll see what that next step is soon enough.

Ultimately, the fact that I'm feeling better about myself, and have more energy, is making me a better mom.  I can keep up with him when he's running all over the place at a  shower, and I can carry him along with a few bags if I need to because I've built up my strength.  And I'm happier, because I was always one of those exercise junkies who thrived on how good you feel after a work out. 

Watching how active Tommy is, I am pretty sure he's going to be playing sports and working out himself, and I want to be able to do that with him for as long as I can. 

Oh, and as for the Body Shapers I bought for those dresses I want to wear to the 3 weddings I have this summer?  Jury's still out on whether or not I'll need them.  Might depend on the dress, or how I'm feeling that particular day.  If it's going to ultimatey "help" and make me look better, no shame, I've decided!

No comments:

Post a Comment