Tuesday, November 29, 2011

He Wishes They All Could Be Chicago Girls

We flew to Chicago last Tuesday to spend Thanksgiving with John's side of the family.  Tommy was once again amazing on the flights both going out and coming back...we really have been blessed with a good kid and a very seasoned traveler.  I think the key is to keep the flights to around 2 hours, have plenty of videos with you, and try to fly around nap time. He slept on BOTH flights to and from Chicago, which makes it 10 out of 12 flights he has slept for us. Out of those 12 flights, only one was what I'd consider "difficult" where Tommy was uncomfortable, would not nap, and his ears were bothering him.

Tommy was very excited to be going to see "Oma Ria", meaning his Oma (Grandma) and Aunt Ria (Maria)...he likes to refer to them as one name as he thinks they come as a package. When Aunt Ria picked us up at the airport, the first thing he asked her was, "Where's Oma?" It was adorable!

Aunt Ria set up a play date with her best friend Allison's little girl Cora for Wednesday.  Cora was due 9/22, and Tommy 9/20. Cora arrived on 8/23 and Tommy on 9/10, so she is about 3 weeks older than him. They had such a blast playing together, and we are pretty sure they were actually flirting with one another.  Allison told us later than Cora told her Daddy that Tommy is her boyfriend!  Check out these cute pics from their playdate together:

Playing "doctor" - supervised, of course!

Ring Around the Rosie

Yeah!!! Let's Hug!

T: Ewww...I think they want us to hug or something
C: I know...let's not give them the satisfaction

C: Let's make funny faces since they are acting like paparazzi with the cameras
T: Okay...I'm gonna just try to slide off the chair so they don't catch us together

T: They want me to put my arm around you, but I'm not into that Cora.
C: It's okay. I'm an independent woman!

T: Who am I kidding? I can't resist you - you are too cute Cora!
C: Um, okay, that's a headlock, not a hug Tommy!

T: Can I kiss you? I'm going to try!
C: Um, can we not let them catch my first kiss on camera?

T: I'm so sad it's time to go. I had so much fun.

C: These darn paparazzi...I did not sign up for this, did I?
T: Maybe my hat will throw them off.

T: You know what...I'll regret it someday if I don't kiss you. So here goes...
C: You're right...and that hat isn't fooling anyone Tommy.

Wednesday afternoon we visiting with John's college buddy Mike and his wife Stacy, and their daughter, Janey, who is 20 months old.  What a difference the 6 months makes!  I remember Tommy well at that age! It is amazing to see and hear the difference in language development, and how he interacted with Janey as opposed to Cora. Janey was mesmerized by "Tornado Tommy" and how he tore her house apart, dumped over all the toys, and was climbing on everything. She followed him around and was taking in all his movements and actions! I never took the camera out until just before we were leaving:

T: Little Janey, you just watch me and learn!

J: What's with the sideways hat my friend?
T: It's my young, hip look.  All the kids are wearing it this way.

T: I know you are younger and littler, Janey, but I think you have cool toys and I enjoyed trying out every.single.one in your house today.  
That night when we recapped the day with Tommy, I thought it was funny that he referred to Janey as "Baby Janey", while Cora was just Cora. We never referred to Janey that way, so Tommy had his own perception that she was younger than him.

And that hat?  Right now it's the only winter hat he's willing to wear...though fortunately it's been rather warm now that we are home, so we have not had to use it every day.

So Tommy had some fun with these girls from Chicago...he even seemed to forget about his girlfriends back home in his class for a brief time!


No comments:

Post a Comment