Friday, September 17, 2010

Bumps, Bruises, and 12 month Stats

We took Tommy to Dr. Nito on Monday, September 13th for his 12 month check up. He impressed all of the staff by walking from the waiting room into the exam room area. We tried to weigh him on the big kid scale standing up, but he had no interest in standing for us on it when we tried, so we stripped him down and put him on the "baby" scale. Tommy was 22 pounds, 12 ounces, 29.5 inches tall. He is in between the 50-75th percentile in both measurements.

In the past Tommy usually sat nicely on the exam table ripping up the paper they have on the table or on one of our laps while we waited for the doctor to see him. This time, he wanted no part of that so we let him walk around the room pointing at things so we could tell him what they were, then asking him to show us where things were (door, table, light, chair). When Dr. Nito came in, both he and Tommy were so excited, Dr. Nito to see Tommy walking, and Tommy because he really likes Dr. Nito and because he was proud of his newly acquired skill. Well, less than a minute later, Tommy starts walking towards me with his arms out and suddenly trips and takes a faceplant before I can catch him. You know that silent scream that happens just before the loudest, worst scream your baby could ever emit? That is exactly what happened. Poor guy, I'd like to say he was more embarrassed than hurt, but we know it hurt! We were actually glad we were in the doctor's office because Dr. Nito was able to check him out immediately of course. While there was no blood, it appeared that Tommy bit his top lip with the ONE tooth that actually is in his mouth. Can you imagine? He was inconsolable the entire visit. Part of it might have been he was hungry, because I picked him up at daycare before he was finished with his dinner completely. He had his "main" dish, but not his veggies or fruit. But he refused the crackers and cookies that we pulled out for him thinking they might soothe the situation.

One thing that the doctor asked about was Tommy's bow legs, which I had previously read is not uncommon in babies and that most outgrow it by the age of 2, and that it has something to do with their center of gravity and balance. Sometimes, however, heredity plays a roll, and John and his 3 siblings are all bow-legged. I also found out later that Tommy's great-grandpa Teddy (my dad's dad) was as well. The doctor said we want to just keep a watch on that to see what happens by the age of 2. We aren't too concerned right now, but it is noticeable when he is standing and walking (in a cute way of course!).


EGG head

Black and Blue Egg Head

The photos above show you the latest and greatest bump and bruise our toddler gave himself this week as well. He took a fall at daycare and gave himself a nice egg on the right side of his forehead. He had two last week, one on either side of his forehead, but this one is definitely more black and blue. His teachers say he is a bit overconfident with his walking sometimes, doesn't look where he is going, and doesn't pay attention to what's on the floor so he steps on things that make him go BOOM. I realize he is only ONE and one week, so I don't think he grasps the fact that he needs to look where he is walking. Soon enough, we'll be seeing these bumps and bruises on his knees and elbows too.

I will say what I said in my last post...very happy that I had the first birthday portraits taken when I did! I had gone back and forth about doing them the week before or the week after Tommy's actual birthday, but something in my gut told me the timing was better for when we did do it. Turns out there were a few other bumpy reasons as well!

Tommy has been doing very well with food. He had a graham cracker "sandwich" with cream cheese and jelly on it today, and has been doing great with some of the Toddler graduates meals from Gerber. On Thursday, he fed himself the spinach ravioli I sent in for dinner. I can't wait to try that with him at home this weekend to see if he'll do it for us...I know kids sometimes can be "lazy" with mommy and daddy on these things. Today, he also ate some strawberry slices. Of course, I was a bit puzzled, since I had not sent any strawberries in, but the teacher explained that one of the girls in the class does not like strawberries, though like I will sometimes do, her parents sent them in for another try. Apparently Tommy was interested, and he picked them up and ate them! When the girl's dad arrived and asked how she did with the strawberries, the teacher responded, "she didn't appreciate them, but Tommy did!" I was relieved to hear he got a kick out of that, as I don't want anyone to think Tommy is the "lunch room bully!" But we have been told that Tommy will sometimes try to swipe food off of other kids' plates. So next week I am planning on sending in some more table food items. He actually had 1 1/2 French Toast sticks one morning this week too!

Tommy did get a few shots this week at the doctor, including part one of the flu vaccine. We have to call in a few weeks to get an appointment to get part two. He did have several runny diapers the next day, but no fever, which everyone assumed was from the shots. His teeth have been really bugging him this week as evidenced by more night awakenings, and since Sunday I could tell that the 2nd bottom tooth was on the verge...it FINALLY popped through today. During his bath tonight, I could see it was just barely through his gums. One of his teachers had noticed it, and we think this might be another reason for some more frequent and looser BMs this week, which has also resulted in a not so nice diaper rash on Tommy's tush.

We'll end this post with a video of Tommy's first ride in his car last weekend that will hopefully work. He was so excited and looks like a pro!

No comments:

Post a Comment