Saturday, October 23, 2010

Rambo - First Blood

Let's start off by saying Tommy is FINE. That would be mean to keep anyone in suspense.

We've had a few boo-boo reports from daycare, mainly Tommy bumping his head on a shelf, when he fell over, walking into something, got his leg stuck in the crib, etc. The school is great - they call us every time, especially if it has anything to do with the head. Friday, I was off from work to do a much needed spa day with my friend Denise with a gift certificate that was collecting dust for months! I dropped Tommy off, leaving just as he sat down to have a french toast stick. Fast forward 10 minutes, as I am walking in the door at home, and my cell phone rings. Daycare. I think I knew immediately something happened, though I did try to convince myself in the few seconds before answering that I forgot to bring something, or perhaps I left something there. Nope.

Tommy took a faceplant on the floor. He'd finished his first stick, and Miss Susan was making him a second one, and he got up, and tripped over his own feet. Split both his upper and lower lips, and his gums were also bleeding. Miss Susan was concerned because his upper teeth were not all the way in, and didn't know if perhaps they'd been pushed back up. Talk about deja vu - my niece Alexis fell on her first birthday with a bottle in her mouth and pushed her top tooth back up. I still get the shivers thinking about it.

I was pretty calm outwardly, but of course, I'm worrying internally...is he okay? how bad did it hurt? I should have grabbed some (generic) Tylenlol...will I be able to go on my spa day? is it because he had pj's on for Pajama Day and were they too long? Should I call the doctor? Maybe I should call Denise and tell her I can't pick her up but will meet her there? Will Tommy have a scar? is it because i dropped him off later than we usually do in the morning and he was tired?

Yes, I admit to having thoughts of whether or not I was going to miss my spa day. And I felt and still feel really guilty about it. But it was mixed in with all those other worries and thoughts...my mind was just racing. I did call John, who asked if I wanted him to meet me there. I couldn't make up my mind, then said no, and that I'd call him, but then he said he'd come down and meet me at the school.

When I arrived, Miss Susan was holding him, he was not crying, and the bleeding had stopped. I didn't notice the lips so much, but I could see that his upper gums had what looked like 2 slits right next to where the teeth were coming in, almost as if his lower teeth dug into his upper gums. I called the pediatrician's office, who were very impressed with how calm I was...I think it was because I did not want Tommy to see me upset, but I also knew at that point...this is only the FIRST of what could be a FEW more accidents! Growing up, my brother was at the emergency room quite a few times before the age of 6, while my sister and I never were until we were at least 10 probably, so subconsciously, I'm probably thinking this is normal for a boy.

John arrived and we worked it out that he would bring Tommy to the doctor so I did not have to cancel my spa day, which I am very grateful for. But, mommy guilt did not let me stop thinking about it entirely while I got my facial and massage. I think I finally relaxed at the very end of both treatments. John and I hung out in the classroom for a bit with Tommys since the doctor could not see him til 10:20, and we watched him eat a second french toast stick, a cookie, and clap along while the teachers sang songs. Both John and I were confident that the teeth had NOT been pushed back up - we'd know better than the doctor since the doctor doesn't see him every day, but seeing him eat and participate like nothing had even happened was even more reassuring. But we figured it was better to be safe than sorry and see the doctor.

Dr. Nito said he was going to be fine - that sometimes the teeth could discolor if they were banged really hard, but it wouldn't necessarily happen for a while, if ever. John brought him back to school and he was fine the rest of the day. Took almost a 3 hour nap after lunch since he never had a morning one, and did great eating lunch, dinner and snacks.



Tommy posing in front of the golf statue in front of our house


Tommy and Tails ignorning the red dot from the laser pointer John was using

Oui, Oui, I am so cute with this hat, eh?


Tommy loves these Halloween creatures that sing and dance to spooky music



Can you see the TWO top teeth? Taken approximately 24 hours after the faceplant.

Gotta love toddlers. NEVER a dull moment!



No comments:

Post a Comment