Monday, October 4, 2010

Homecoming

We celebrated two Homecomings this past weekend. First up, Daddy came home from Las Vegas, where he had been since Sunday for a work conference (I hear you all saying, "yeah, right...a "work conference" in Vegas." Sort of my thoughts too...hehe!).

I remember when John went away for a few days last October when Tommy was one month old, and freaking out because I was going to be "alone" with a newborn. What a difference a year makes. While I was not thrilled about the timing of this trip - this is literally the busiest time of the year for me, I made it work, and am very proud of myself. I was up every morning before my alarm went off at 5:45 so I could shower and get myself as ready as I could before Tommy woke up. He got up between 6:15-6:30 each day, and was very cooperative getting his diaper changed and then having his bottle in the pack and play that I decided to bring into our bedroom exactly for that purpose, while I finished getting ready. He played by himself in the living room while I ate breakfast and packed his food for the day, and we were out the door by 7:20 every day. The last few weeks, we left the house closer to 7:50 with John and I tag teaming everything. I definitely was giving myself some pats on the back! Of course, it helped that I got up when my alarm was going off rather than hitting snooze like I usually do! Plus, I got myself to bed by 10:30 almost every night, which really does make a difference. (Unfortunately, I'm already sliding back to my night owl habits this week!) John was supposed to be home on Wednesday night, but realized he needed to move his flight to Thursday to attend a "seminar" (I know you're thinking golf just like I was, right?). His flight on Thursday was delayed several hours due to bad weather on the East Coast so because he got in so late, he ended up sleeping at my parents' house. I think he got spoiled getting to sleep in for so many days, and that's why he didn't come home til Friday.


This is Tommy on Friday night at home after Daddy picked him up at daycare. He is on his "Handy Manny" riding car that he enjoys sitting on, pushing, and pulling around the house.

Beep Beep!

This weekend was also Homecoming Weekend at Rutgers. Not that I get to ever really celebrate with my friends since I'm always working the football game, but because the game was at 2pm, we figured it would be a great opportunity to bring Tommy to his first Rutgers game. My mom came down for the weekend and while I had to be at work by 10am for the game, she and John drove up to arrive closer to kickoff so that it did not end up being too long of a day for Tommy. We hoped he would take a short nap mid morning and then his longer nap in the car ride up to Rutgers, but he really didn't nap very long at all. He fell asleep eating his lunch at home because he did not take his morning nap, and then wasn't too happy when Daddy and Grandma woke him up to get him changed into his gameday outfit. He did sleep in the car, and apparently was half-asleep for the beginning of the game, though with his eyes open!

Tommy meets the Scarlet Knight and Marty the horse on his way into Rutgers Stadium



Tommy with Daddy, not appreciating the fact that Mommy did not expect it to get as warm as it did on Saturday!

Tommy's analysis is that Rutgers used the wildcat option one too many times this game

Tommy points out a bird...a plane...or perhaps the "sure" win that got away from Rutgers perhaps?


Tailgating like a champ postgame, and pointing out another aircraft in the sky!

Our family did wear RED to the game!

Tommy and Grandma hug it out


Tommy tailgating with Pop-Pop and his friends



Tommy's face is asking "what's a linebacker?" since Pop-Pop keeps calling him one.


Second wind after a late nap on the way home


And the newest hobby, getting pulled around in the duck formerly known as Tommy's bathtub.

Unfortnately Rutgers lost the game, but I was so proud of how well Tommy did! He continues to amaze us with how adaptable he is to different situations we put him in even if it throws us all a little off schedule. He is always a real trooper and in a happy mood!


No comments:

Post a Comment