Friday, October 28, 2011

Toddler in A Toddler Bed

It's just over two weeks since we transitioned Tommy to his toddler bed.  Thankfully, it's gone pretty smoothly...a few kinks here and there of course, and while we were in Arizona we used a pack and play. Each of the 3 nights Tommy woke up and ended up in bed with us.


He does continue to try to use delay tactics, and at first will climb in and out of bed, but we're starting to establish a little routine of how things are going to work to have a good night's sleep. We read for a bit on the floor - currently only Dora and Diego stories are in the rotation. Sometimes I read Diego's Halloween Party three times. I am already reading that one by nightlight after Tommy goes in to his bed and we shut the light off, as I almost know it by heart. I usually tell him "one more book" at which time he'll get in his bed, and I'll read to him with the light off, and then say our prayers.


Some nights, Tommy is not as cooperative. Seems to be on nights Daddy puts him to bed is when we have the most trouble, though some nights he fights me as well. I'm not sure why this is, except that I do the bedtime routine more than John right now. Granted, we both have different ways of doing things, and Tommy of course does know he can push different buttons on either one of us. Most nights with me, it's about 20-30 minutes, and that includes the reading of the books. An occasional crying fit. A few delay tactics including putting the shapes back in his puzzle or building a tower with blocks.  We don't have many "toys" in Tommy's room right now for a good reason. But we need a few things up there for when I'm drying my hair or putting my makeup on some mornings! Two weeks ago when I was working, John had an awful time and called me at my event; I could hear Tommy crying in the background. But another night when I was home and John put Tommy to bed, it went much smoother.  Part of me wonders if it has something to do with some anxiety on his part that his mommy wasn't there before bed. Tuesday night was another bad night for John, and I ended up laying down with Tommy on our bed for a short time before he finally said, "My bed."  And we got up and went to his room, where I read 2 books, said some prayers with Tommy, and he fell asleep. At 10:30pm. We have tried earlier and later times to go to bed to find the right time. Most nights, it's 9-9:15pm. Wednesday night went much smoother...there was no screaming or yelling coming from the room at least! Tommy and John will have to find their routine because basketball season is fast approaching, which will mean some occasional night games that I won't get home until pretty late from. I'm sure they'll figure it out, but it still breaks my heart when I get that phone call that I can't do anything to comfort my little stinker.



Tommy's first look at his new toddler bed

I can just imagine what's going through his head!

I think he may have ben trying to see how sturdy the bumper was by pulling on it

After reading, but before lights out

Notice Orange Guy?


This one should be BEFORE the 2 photos above...the reading on the floor before climbing into bed

Sitting on the edge another night

Someone got a hold of part of Mommy's Halloween costume

Some nights we use the Orajel swabs since Tommy's 2 year molars are working on him

Tommy likes to lay on the floor like this and listen to me read some nights

Once again, Orange Guy is never very far!

Diego, BIG Diego, Dora and Boots in place to watch over Tommy while he sleeps

1 comment:

  1. That's so great he's in his own toddler bed! What a big boy. He is so darn cute! Can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete